Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Breastfeed Teething Baby





Pagi ni dapat email..pasal teething baby..mesti ramai yg hadapi problem ni kan..ain share soalan n jawapan yg ain bagi kat dia.. (copy n paste dr email )







Q:




Hi,
I've fully breastfeed my baby girl for the past 10 months and became a full time mom since 3 months ago. For the first 7 months I pumped EBM on day time and direct latch on night. Now my baby girl is teething her 3rd and 4th teeth on the top. This made my b/f life so difficult. My left nipple sore- bleed- recover- sore for the past 1 week. I spread my breast milk on the open wound and let it air dry and only b/f other side. My right nipple not bleed but sore badly due to I only feed one side. I try to spoon feed/ bottle feed but my baby refused. She insisted to wait for me come home to drink direct. I tried breast shield and she refuses to latch on but to take that away by her hand.
I do tell her not to bite and suck hardly when she's awake. But I willing to scold her when she's sleeping biting me hard. Please help! My in laws in trying to switch her to formula since I've been screaming over. I normally go for Dr Koe but she's on leave for the whole week. I think my nipple will be gone when I see her 1 week later.




Thanks
Eve Koh












Jawapan Ain:



Dear Eve,
Breastfeeding a teething baby is possibly one of the greatest worries for breastfeeding
mothers. Perhaps surprisingly, many mums feel pressurised by other people to stop breastfeeding as soon as the first tooth begins to break through, like you MIL did.
People will express dismay, disgust and sheer incredulity if they think a mum will continue to breastfeed a baby with teeth.

Considering many babies get their first tooth somewhere between four and six months the choice to continue breastfeeding should not really be such a big deal.
Of course mums worry that their baby may bite but they can give quite a nip even before teeth appear. You can soon teach your baby to refrain from biting by simply placing a clean finger between the baby's gums and your nipple and saying "No" in a firm voice. The action will break the suction while the firm voice reinforces your message! You can also stop breastfeeding the baby momentarily and if you do this each time he bites he will soon realise that it is not such a good idea!
This is one of my way that I did to Afeef, my son...and personally say, It WORKS!!

Sometimes the bite can take you by surprise and can be uncomfortable but in these instances you may find that you instinctively pull away and baby will learn the same lesson - if he bites he loses his lovely drink!
People may tell you horror stories about breastfeeding babies biting so hard that they drew blood. This is very rare.
Please remember that your baby is not consciously hurting you. Biting helps relieve the pressure on his teething gums and eases the pain a little. Babies will bite and chew at anything they can put to their mouths.Try giving your baby a teething toy or a teething ring which has been stored in the fridge - the cold will help numb the pain. Sometimes a teething gel can help or you can try herbal remedies.
Sometimes breastfeeding babies bite when they are just playing - in the same way that a bottle-fed baby chews and pulls on the teat of the bottle.Your breastfed baby is simply experimenting and learning. He will very soon realise the rule of cause and effect and he will tire of it before too long!
Feel free to get in touch with me again!!

Cheers, and may your breastfeeding journey follows with more experience and unforgetable moments, for you and your child...








:)
-Afeef with Daddy-








1 comment: